Friday, August 12, 2011

The "Story" I left out ...

I've gotten a few notes from people (THANK YOU! for reading!!!!) wondering what they missed in the elipses near the bottom of the sermon. In church, I just told the story without notes, but here it goes. It's an old shaggy-dog story about the woman minister who went duck hunting with various groups of parishioners as they were getting to know her. And as the ducks fell in the water, and the dogs didn't retrieve them, the minister said, "Oh, I'll go out and get them," and off she went, walking on the water. You can imagine how amazed they were by this performance, and in various versions of the story, different groups take the minister hunting just to see if this walking-on-water is repeated. Indeed it is, resulting in a shamefaced confession on the part of the new minister. She had left an important point out from her resume and OTM profile: she had just never learned to swim.

We are all variously-abled, are we not? As Jesus seemed to know, sometimes you just have to walk on water to get your point across.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, good story! I bet it was fun to preach. I have just a few more days remaining of my vacation, and then back to work.

    ReplyDelete